29.8.09

0051 - Marble Cake

IMG_9573

Marble Cake is one of the more "famous" cakes within my family especially with my aunt & my cousin always being the "chief" in baking heaps of them for us all. I always thought it was such a cumbersome cake to bake. It wasn't till I tried making it myself. Now that I know better, I'll be happy to bake these on any given day, come rain or shine.

Ingredients:
200gm butter, softened
1cup caster sugar
1tsp vanilla essence
3 eggs
2cups self-raising flour
1/2cup milk, reserve 2tbs of this
1tbs cocoa powder

Preparation:
  1. Pre-heat the oven at 180C.
  2. Prepare a lightly greased 24cm diameter springfoam pan & line with baking paper.
Method:
  1. Beat the butter, sugar & vanilla until pale & creamy.
  2. Add 1 egg at a time & beat really well.
  3. Sift 1/2 of the flour & stir in the milk.
  4. Repeat step 3 with the remaining flour and milk until well combined.
  5. Divide the batter into 2.
  6. Combine cocoa powder into the 2nd batter mixture & add the reserved milk.
  7. Stir well.
  8. Place alternate spoonfuls of the 2 mixtures into the prepared pan, tapping the base of the pan on a flat surface to settle the mixture.
  9. Use a spoon or a knife to gently swirl the batters together to create a marble effect.
  10. Tap the base of the pan on a flat surface to smooth the surface.
  11. Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  12. Remove from oven and set aside in pan for 5 minutes.
  13. Let it cool completely before serving. Or, keep it in an airtight container - not in the fridge though.
As always, with cakes like these, I prefer indulging in mine slightly warm to the touch.

No comments: